Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Being Honest With Ourselves

Being Honest with Ourselves
Our relationship with ourselves is the most important relationship we need to maintain.  The quality of that relationship will determine the quality of our other relationships.
When we can tell ourselves how we feel and accept our feelings, we can tell others.
When we can accept what we want and need, we will be ready to have our wants and needs met.
When we can accept what we think and believe, and accept what is important to us, we can relay this to others.
When we learn to take ourselves seriously, others will too.
When we learn to chuckle at ourselves, we will be ready to laugh with others.
When we have learned to trust ourselves, we will be trustworthy and ready to trust.
When we can be grateful for who we are, we will have achieved self-love.
When we have achieved self-love and accepting our wants and needs, we will be ready to give and receive love.
When we've learned to stand on our own two feet, we're ready to stand next to someone.
I don't remember where I got this statement but it is something that resonates with me.  It is easy to feel guilty for taking time for yourself but this outlines the importance for doing so.  When we take care of ourselves, we have something to share with others.  Also, by taking care of ourselves, we are able to stand on our own two feet and contribute to maximum benefit.  What was especially meaningful to me was "When we can accept what we think and believe, and accept what is important to us, we can relay this to others."  This is important to me because I am often shy and don't share when I think that I will be ridiculed.  But that self-censorship denies who I am and ultimately is not healthy.  Also, we have to accept ourselves before we can expect anyone else to accept us.  It is an ongoing process for me but I love self-exploration.  Now I don't feel guilty about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment