Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Living with Bipolar Disorder

I was checking out Carrie Fisher's book Wishful Drinking.  I do want to buy the book but I did read the author's note at the back.  It is always nice to hear from someone who has been there.  I feel less crazy and abnormal when I see that someone else knows what I have been through.  Here is what she said:
"One of the things that baffles me (and there are quite a few) is how there can be so much lingering stigma with regards to mental illness, specifically bipolar disorder.  In my opinion, living with manic depression takes a tremendous amount of balls.  Not unlike a tour of duty in Afghanistan (though the bombs and bullets, in this case, come from the inside).  At times, being bipolar can be an all-consuming challenge, requiring a lot of stamina and even more courage.  So if you're living with this illness and functioning at all, it's something to be proud of, not ashamed of.
     They should issue medals along with the steady stream of medications one has to ingest."
Now those paragraphs say it all.  There is not too much I can add to that except to say I know exactly where she is coming from.  That being said, it is worth every effort to get well and participate in life.  I think I have developed a certain appreciation for life that I wouldn't have if not for the bipolar disorder.  There are moments in my life that I am so happy and grateful to be here and perhaps I wouldn't know that pleasure if there hadn't been times when I wanted to make a grand exit.  I think anybody who has ever struggled with any type of illness or disability might know what I mean.  I certainly don't hold the monopoly on suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment