Friday, November 12, 2010

Why Yoga


My passion is yoga, especially reading and learning about yoga philosophy.  I wish I was more consistent with the asana aspect because I thoroughly enjoy that too.  But I love to read and learn and study and apply.  Yoga is typically described as meaning "union" or "yoking" and for me means the realization of connectedness of all that exists.  It is easy for me to isolate and disconnect myself from what is going on around me and my well-being lies in knowing that I am not really separate and that I am a part of this web we call life.  David Simon of the Chopra Center described what yoga is really about:
"The essence of yoga is awakening to who you really are - your true nature.  You are not a bundle of conditioned reflexes, you are not your body and you are not your mind.  At your core you are pure consciousness, inextricably connected to the universal intelligence that brings the Unmanifest into manifestation."
This quote sums it up nicely and describes the purpose of my quest.  It is my mission to connect with the people around me and the world around me and forget about the insecurities that come from my ego.  Fear that I don't measure up or that I am not worthy come from the ego and through yoga, I can come to know my Higher Self that is actually the universal intelligence of which I am a part.  Ego worries about doing things perfectly and being accepted by other people.  Ego worries about status and accomplishment.  Ego worries about outward appearances.  The Higher Self is accepting of all and recognizes the worthiness and divinity of all.  The Higher Self removes the fear of the Ego and provides strength and courage.  This is why I love yoga.  Because of yoga, I can strive to realize all these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment